the sun is sparkling, the rain rumbling, and we badly need some poetry...

Thursday 4 October 2012

Neil Ellman - 3 Poems


The Power of Thought 
(after the painting by Michael Kvium)

It comes
goes
whack-a-mole
whimsy
of thought
frightful images of
dragons
under the bed
then
princes and princesses
all dressed up
popping up
the power of dreams
memories piled
like
broken dolls
forgotten
remembered
with different eyes
the power of thinking
what might have been
or could.


Manao Tupapau (The Spirit of the Dead Keep Watch)
(after the painting by Paul Gauguin)

               I

She watches me
listens
for signs
the slightest movement
of an eye
the smallest murmuration
of my heart
she waits
counts beats
studies the curve
of my back
the arch of my neck
while I tighten my hold
on straw.


             II

She waits for me
I for her to leave
she waits
with the patience
of a monstrous saint
while I hold fast      
grip burning
sheets of light.


           III

They carriy me
to the pyre
where I can feel
my soul on fire—
even then
she waits.

Insula Dulcamara
(after the painting by Paul Klee)

Framed by time
a nursery rhyme
of dancing lines
the harmony
of children’s play
their nascent thoughts
of candy ghosts
and singing snakes--
such innocence
in dreams.

Biography:  Neil Ellman lives and writes in New Jersey.  Hundreds of his poems appear in print and online journals throughout the world, from Australia to Mauritius to Zimbabwe.  He has also published nine chapbooks, the most recent of which, Double-Takes, is available as a free PDF download from fowlpox.tk.