the sun is sparkling, the rain rumbling, and we badly need some poetry...

Saturday 5 March 2011

Amit Parmessur - One Poem


Play With Me

See, the melting hands of the cream clock
Are ticking fervently towards eternity.

So let’s wash our own dusky hands quickly
And play this lost game and
Devour the half cherry still left untried
On the curvy mountains of holy milk.

Hold my hand as it is now the scarlet time
To collect nectar-studded butterflies and stick
Them on our battered shoulders to
Carry ourselves into an immortal cave of lust.

If love is an ephemeral kiss I love you not.
If love is a white belief I believe you not.
If love is a honeyed threnody I love you not.
If your indigo anger is love I still love you.

Hold my hand; it is now the dramatic day
To turn into sinister scorpions and sting
The bizarre beasts of the past and
Build a future of unfamiliar freedom.

Come and play with me.
Let’s try the red game of love a third time
Before dusk, in the sparkling sun and rumbling rain.